Monday, April 5, 2010

Feel The Burn

My alarm chimed this morning at 5, telling me to get my butt to CrossFit. I debated for a few seconds whether to stay in bed. I reached for the alarm button and pressed snooze. That's right, I snoozed. A few minutes later Sean gently shook me out of sleep to tell me that I had to get up for CrossFit. I mumbled that I wanted to sleep and that I would go to the eight am session. The desire for sleep was so great and I'm really happy I did it.

At 7:15 Sean returned from his workout and woke me to say that I had 15 minutes to get out the door. Since I had my workout clothes layed out the night before, it was easy to be dressed, hydrated, kissed goodbye and out the door in 15.

I was relieved that the workout of the day was not a cardio killer. After the general warm up it was, 3..2...1..Go! I was amazed that I could hold a Wall Sit for 6:20 minutes! Go ahead and try it. Squat with your back against the wall, your thighs parallel to the floor, your arms extended in front of you, hit the timer and see how long you can hold it. The burn was intense! Beat my time and let me know about it!

Next, hold the push up position on the rings! Ouch! I collapsed after 40 sec. Next, false grip on rings. I didn't last very long there either. Damn arms! Hold 22lb bar overhead with active shoulders. This was almost as good as my wall sit, 4 minutes but the burn was so intense in my right shoulder and my whole body began to shake at the end. Iron Cross with 5lb dumbells. This was a pathetic 30 seconds!! And finally, chin over bar. Resuts? I need to build up my upper body strength. Finished the workout with a 500 meter sprint on the rower. 2 minutes flat. Not bad at all.

So, the burn I felt in my lungs after the sprint indicated to me that I need to work everyday to build cardio strength. The burning results from the wall sit and arm work gave me a very good starting point to set new personal records in the coming weeks. As some of my favorite people say, "We are a work in progress."

Tomorrow I have off from CrossFit but I will run a four miler (no snooze).

No comments:

Post a Comment