Thursday, April 29, 2010

Row, Row, Row Your Boat!

It took three full days to recover from Monday’s Fran and Tabata core training. So, I was thrilled that today’s workout was press, push press and jerk. My shoulders need major development and even though I didn’t press a lot of weight 57lb on the press, 62lb on the push press, 57 on the split jerk, it was a calm workout I needed. Then Calvin told us to row 2,000 meters for time! Occasionally, I enjoy a leisurely row, but the word leisurely does not exist in the CrossFit dictionary so I rowed fast and hard. 2000 is a big number and besides battling fatigue, I was battling with my own mind to stay focused and to stay on track.

A few things helped me push through the intensity. Calvin’s voice saying, “stay calm”, when I was getting weary. The pumping music and most importantly Jeremy’s gentle coaching. Jeremy sat on the rower next to me and through his own workout was coaching me, “Pull hard, you got this.” I gave it all I had in my last 100 meters because of Jeremy counting me down to the finish. I beat my time by nearly a minute finishing at 8:55. My lungs were on fire, mostly because I don’t work them as hard as I did when I was teaching my spin classes back in Boston. But at least I finished with the help of my coach, my new workout buddy and rocking music.
I just have to mention how much I appreciate CrossFit and the sense of family and community it has created in my life.

Today’s Nutrition: Inspiring Coaching

Pre-workout: Coffee with milk and ½ banana.
Post-workout: 6” Turkey sub with veggies and avocado from Subway.
Snack: Coffee with skim milk and 5 almonds.
Dinner: Tomato and sweet pepper salad with Feta, tossed in olive oil and coconut vinegar. YUM! A piece of tri-tip and an apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment