Monday, April 19, 2010

No Sugar?

That's right. It is high time I eliminated sugar from my diet. I used to bake cookies and have always enjoyed chocolate, cake, cookies, ice cream, scones. But lately, the cookie monster that lives inside me has become very demanding! My hormones are out of whack and I crave that sweetness. The sweet white stuff that makes cookie monster gobble up his favorite treats and beg for more is an addictive substance. Just look at the blue monster. He can't just have one. I won't get into scientific detail about why sugar is addictive and how it contributes to weight gain and other health and psychological problems and how it is in almost all packaged foods, but you can read about sugar's affect on the human body in "Suicide by Sugar" and "It Started with Pop-Tarts". Plus, you can find plenty of articles on line.

My goal of eliminating sugar from my diet is simply to get my body and mind into a state of homeostasis and to have lasting energy for CrossFit. Our bodies can take a lot of abuse but if I can do things to help aleviate some of its stuggle to function better, I will. I beleive that if I eliminate sugar from my body entirely then I might be able to actually hear the fine tunes of my body's real needs. I'll view this experiment as having a clean house. Because in a clean house, any mess is easily spotted.

We are constanty a work in progress. Please share your stories about sugar.

PS. I put out peanut M&M's at work for the new student orientation and it was hard not to eat one of those pretty colors. But I took a deep breath and told myself, "NO! Just try this experiment for 14 days and see what happens." I didn't eat any.

No comments:

Post a Comment