Thursday, April 22, 2010

Was It the Banana?

What happened to me this morning that I had high energy and endurance to work through my WOD? Usually, I struggle and feel weak and sluggish early on in the workout. This is day 4 of absolutely no sugar. I am doing well and experienceing no cravings, even though I am surrounded by junk food at work. I just keep reminding myself of my "no sugar experiment" and I happily walk away from that bag of M&M's.

This morning, an hour before the 9am WOD, I poured myself a big cup of coffee and drank it with warm milk, like I do most morning. I love my poor man's latte and if I ever have to experiment with eliminating coffee and milk from my diet, I think this would be the hardest.

I was feeling a bit hungry, so after downing my latte I decided to eat a banana. I can't remember the last time I ate just a plain ole' banana before a workout. Actually, I haven't been eating bananas because according to Dr. Barry Sears, they are an unfavorable carb. So, I 99% eliminated them from my diet. But according to my boyfriend, Sean, bananas are brain fuel with many other health benefits and we always have them at home because Sean blends them in his smoothies.

My body favored this one! This one little banana was my "sugar" candy that fueled my workout. I must mention here that if you're going to eat bananas, eat them at the right time of the day. Use them only as a "supplement" to your workout routine. Again, my goal is to eliminate added sugar and sugar substitute and use certain fruit only for my workouts. Plus, bananas are very inexpensive!

So, here is what happened and what didn't happen after I ate the banana.
I didn't all of a sudden become stronger and pump out 100 push ups. Although, I did 10 in a row very nicely. I did have sustained energy through out the entire WOD. I didn't crash from a sugar high. And I had the most rounds in 30 minutes!


Workout of the Day:
As many rounds as possible in 30 min.
52lb Single leg Deadlift-5reps (each leg)
Push ups-13 reps
Box jump 14"-9 reps

PS. I loved this workout partly becasue there was no rowing! Balancing on one leg for a deadlift takes a little bit of skill. My right hip was a bit tight and I struggled with strength and balance on that leg. Push ups became increasingly difficult with each round. I had plenty of energy for the box jumps and made up my time on those as well as deadlifting from my left leg. What a great workout! I'll let you know how the next banana 'works out' out for me.

NO WOD tomorrow for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment